- Teams score more (duh). 10.4 pts/game versus 9.85. 1.42 pts per end versus 1.31
- Less blank ends. Only 36 total blank ends in the BDO (9.3%) versus 61 (15%) in the WCGP.
- Teams are forced to one the same amount of time. Teams scored a single point with hammer 35% in the GPWC and 34% in the BDO. For as often the extra guard provided more opportunity, teams likely had to bail out and score a single at risk of a steal.
- Teams don’t score more deuces, but deuces turned into threes. Teams with hammer scored two or more 33% of the time, same in both events. However, deuces occurred 25% of the time in the GPWC and 21% during the BDO. Four or more was still a scarce event (2% GPWC increased to 3% BDO), and threes increased to 9% from 6%. Note that in both cases the increase is 50% and, though the sample size is small, we should expect an increase in scoring for teams with hammer.
- Teams steal more points. Teams stole 1 point 14% and two or more 3.5% (total of 17.5%) in the GPWC and 17% + 5% for 22% steal percentage in the BDO. The 5-Rock rule doesn’t give any extra advantage from the 4-Rock rule to a team without last rock. One likely reason for the increase is that teams, knowing they can’t keep the end clean, become more aggressive without hammer and steal more often. This leads to the next effect…
- Fewer close games. During the GPWC, 19 games decided by one point, 9 extra end games and 89% of games went to the 8th end. Granted, not all one point games are close (some have a team down three score two in the last end), but we can gain some comparison to the BDO with 13 1-point games, 81% reaching the 8th end and only 1 extra end game. However, stats can’t tell us that
- The 5-Rock games were more exciting.
1 Yes readers, CWM is going to start using footnotes, in order to segue into information which I’m too lazy to thread into the main article. Similar to the process used by the fine writers at Grantland.com. In this case, it should be noted that all teams participating in the BDO had to agree to the 5-rock rule in order to allow CTRS points to be awarded. Perhaps surprising that no one opted out, but I expect any team voting NO would go years without anyone buying them a round of drinks.↩